Thursday 7 August 2014

The Current State of Warriors: Part 1 - Fury

Warning: Lots of opinion beyond this point, please ensure your pinch of salt is ready for use. Also, I'm writing this assuming that the reader (that is, you) know relevant details that I may mention.

So, Warriors.

Warriors are in a particularly messed up state right now on Beta, and that's fact, rather than opinion. Fury is in a gnarled, twisted imitation of what it was purely by chance, and Arms is amazingly boring with little to no depth whatsoever, just press buttons if you have Rage and they're off cooldown. Fantastic gameplay, if you like either carpal tunnel or naps while raiding.

I don't have access currently, and I'm honestly not even sure if that's a bad thing. Normally I love to dive into Betas for WoW, see what's what, what's changed, and provide feedback either directly, or to people that can word it a lot better than I can so that they end up inadvertently posting my feedback along with theirs. However this time I feel that there's no point in justifying this, and I shouldn't feel this way at all.

When a game goes into Beta and it's Devs tell the people on the Beta to provide them with feedback so that they can make appropriate changes, you'd expect them to react to lots of people saying the same thing, however this doesn't seem to be the case with Warriors whatsoever. Right now on the Live Servers, I don't know a single person (Emphasis on me not knowing them, I know there are exceptions) that dislikes how Fury is designed, and all of the Warriors I know in Heroic Raiding guilds like how Fury plays right now. In my own opinion, Fury is perfect, it does not need any serious change. A few things could be changed as QoL issues but they're not drastic, sweeping changes.

Drastic, sweeping changes is exactly what Fury got. It was unfairly gutted, despite the cries of Fury Warriors the world over asking the Devs what they were doing with Fury. Apparently the idea was to make Fury more "furious", and instead only succeeded in making the people behind the keyboards furious instead. I mentioned earlier that Fury on beta was a gnarled and twisted imitation, and I wish I was joking. Spamming Bloodthirst (Via Unquenchable Thirst talent) for tonnes of Enrage uptime and Raging Blow procs and dumping any excess Rage with Ignite Weapon, which for some reason is a thing even though they were insistent that Heroic Strike was a bad ability and needed to go, is some of the worst decision making I've seen in a long time in regards to class design. To evolve what Warriors are on live, they need either minor tweaks or a solid overhaul that should have been done before even entering a tuning pass.

What we have now for Fury is a nasty mix of MoP Fury and this... thing in the corner that I don't want to talk about. It's the elephant in the room that everyone can see except the developers. I really don't even want to go into Wild Strike because I'll start to get annoyed somehow, but  almost -all- the Warriors I've seen tweeting say they don't like it and that it needs to be changed is ignored, and Celestalon retweets the one guy who says he likes it, even though that guy mains a healer. I think that's a pretty bad way to go about the situation. Sure the Devs can say "No this is better, trust us, you'll like it this way!" and yes, this is their game to do with as they please, but when you have a majority of players saying that it's bad design and it's not fun, not engaging, and in some cases possibly health affecting (bit extreme, but possible) that's just an idiotic way of going about it.

I shouldn't go on and on about it, because at the same time, these are the Devs that brought us MoP Fury, they designed the brutal beast that smashes bosses in the face and takes names for a living. They designed the spec that is cruel and calculating and destroys enemies during Colossus Smash windows with use of abilities and weaving in Heroic Strikes to manage it's resource.

I'd honestly love to get a detained response explaining why they have made every single change to Fury, but I know I probably won't get one. None of the other Warriors asking before me got one, and none of the hundreds of Warriors with Beta access who know how this new Fury works inside out, who have played it to see if it can be even the slightest bit fun, who understand that while "change is good" this change is frustratingly horrible, are probably going to get a response either.

Blizzard have made their minds up, and the Warrior player base right now is up in arms about it (no pun intended). Until we get a solid response for all of the changes, it looks like Fury can sit on the backburner until it's worthy of picking up it's sword and fighting for a place in our hearts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment